Maintaining Positive Workplace Culture From Home
After the strange times of the past year, it can be hard to stay positive. This is no different for when it comes to maintaining a positive workplace culture.
But what actually is workplace culture? Why is it important? And what can you do to maintain it positively whilst working from home? This guide covers everything you need to know in one place.
What Is Workplace Culture?
Workplace culture is all about the personality and character of your business or organisation; it’s what makes your business unique from everyone else. It’s all about the treatment of the people that work for the company, how it approaches problems as well as the sum of its values, traditions, beliefs, interactions, behaviours, attitudes and much more.
Having a positive workplace culture can help your business attract new talent, drive engagement, impact happiness and satisfaction, and can help with performance. Maintaining a positive workplace culture has been challenging for many teams who have had to work remotely but that doesn’t mean this can’t be achieved.
Why Is Workplace Culture Important?
Culture is important because it can strengthen or undermine your objectives. For instance, if you were to employee people who don’t fit within the company, tolerate management styles that undermine employees that may impact their engagement and motivation, or you don’t set company values, these are some of the factors that can either contribute or take away from your desired culture.
What Influences Workplace Culture?
Your business can be influenced by many things; management, policies, people, leadership and much more can directly impact a workplace culture. It’s important to define your workplace culture. Many organisations make the mistake of letting of their workplace form naturally; this means they can’t define who they want to be as a group.
How Can You Maintain Your Office Culture Remotely?
You can implement a workplace culture when everyone’s in the office, but what about when it comes to remote working?
Expanding your company’s culture to your employees’ homes is very much possible; it all depends on how durable your culture is. It just requires a focus on some important organisational factors:
- Leadership – leaders need to be visible! It’s reassuring for your team if they know they can reach out to your leaders. This creates a sense of trust within the team to get tasks done when working remotely.
- The Workplace – There may not have been a physical office to report to over the past year but there’s now a virtual office than fulfils this space. Scheduling in regular group meetings or private chats gives a sense of routine and a feeling of workplace collaboration.
- Communication – Using communication tools is crucial in managing a remote team. Keeping these channels open really helps to build trust; when workers are aware of the trust you have in them, they tend to give more. Using Teams direct routing is great way of integrating an efficient business communications system into your existing telephone system.
- Accountability – When everyone is accountable, there’s openness and transparency in your work as a team. Regular communication makes sure that everyone is up to date – with help and support provided when necessary. Using call recording solutions provide you with the tools to support your teams’ communication skills and are being efficient with their time.
- Be open with each other – Listening to feedback and taking on constructive criticism means that the team knows that making mistakes is normal and is important for learning development. If someone needs to ask questions on something they’re not sure about, they should feel comfortable enough to talk to whoever; this means tasks can be approached in the right way and less time is taken to re-do tasks.
Maintaining a positive workplace culture from home comes with its challenges but it is achievable with the right planning. Thanks to the power of the internet and technology, you can connect with anyone in an instant these days. Intuity’s business telecommunication solutions help make sure everyone is aligned throughout the business, which is key to maintain a positive workplace culture when working at home.